When searching for information on this topic, potentially useful keywords to use include :
- NATO-UN comprehensive approach
- NATO-UN relations
- NATO history
This LibGuide includes links to content found on the web (e.g. websites, news & blogs, reports, etc.) as well as a select number of articles and books available from the NATO Multimedia Library.
Please note that this is not a comprehensive collection of material on NATO's relations with the United Nations. The selection criteria for the websites and documents included was based on each item's currency and relevancy to this topic.
Furthermore, quick search boxes for online databases subscribed by the Library (available to staff working at NATO HQ) as well as links to the library catalog are available for you to locate additional resources.
This LibGuide is intended to provide a few starting points to assist you with your research on issues related to NATO's relations with the United Nations.
Good places to start your research include :
- the NATO Topic pages on NATO's relations with the United Nations
- the book, A History of NATO: The First Fifty Years, Volume 1 (2001) provides several relevant articles in Part 1: NATO and the United Nations
- NATO Declassified 1945-1959 illustrates the birth of NATO and its formative years via declassified documents, photos, films and footage.
- the NATO Defense College Forum Paper on The UN and NATO: Forward from the Joint Declaration (May 2011)
- news stories from the NATO website
- the NATO LibGuides on:
- the NATO Review articles on
- Enhancing NATO's cooperation with international organizations (2007)
- Should NATO support UN operations? (2005), NATO's role in nation-building (2005)
- The responsibility to protect (2002)
- Lessons learned (2001)
- the NATO Review edition on NATO and peace-building (2005)
- the article, NATO and the United Nations: Debates and Trends in Institutional Coordination (2011) provides a good overview of the literature on NATO-UN relations