When searching for information on this topic, potentially useful keywords to use include :
- NATO-EU relations OR cooperation
- comprehensive approach
- "Berlin-Plus" arrangements
- ESDP, CSDP
This LibGuide includes links to content found on the web (e.g. websites, news & blogs, reports, etc.) as well as a select number of articles and books available from the NATO Multimedia Library.
Please note that this is not a comprehensive collection of material on the topic. The selection criteria for the websites and documents included was based on each item's currency and relevancy to this topic.
Furthermore, quick search boxes for online databases subscribed by the Library (available to staff working at NATO HQ) as well as links to the library catalog are available for you to locate additional resources.
This LibGuide is intended to provide a few starting points to assist you with your research on issues related to NATO's relations with the European Union.
In particular, allied leaders agreed at the Lisbon Summit to enhance NATO’s contribution to a comprehensive approach to crisis management as part of the international community’s effort.
Good places to start your research include :
- the NATO Comprehensive Approach LibGuide
- NATO Review's articles on NATO and the European Union : Cooperation and security (2007) and Analysis : Enhancing NATO's cooperation with international organizations (2007) as well as many other NATO Review articles on EU-NATO relations
- NATO Defense College's Research Publications:
- NATO-EU Cooperation in Operations || ESDP and NATO Capability Generation: The Latest Case of Mirror Imaging? MICHEL, Leo; GRAZIOSO, Andrea; Research Paper n 31 (February 2007)
- NATO and the European Union and their offers of cooperation in the Mediterranean L’OTAN, l’Union européenne et leurs offres de coopération en Méditerranée PRESTAT, Hélène Research Paper n 28 (September 2006)
- NATO-EU Cooperation in Post-Conflict Reconstruction NDC, Research Division Edited by Jean Dufourcq and David S. Yost Occasional Paper n 15 (May 2006)
- NATO-EU Cooperation in Post-Conflict Reconstruction || Prospects for NATO-Russia Joint Peace Support Operations YOST, David S.; PONSARD, Lionel; Research Paper n 25 (December 2005)
- the webpage, Cooperation with NATO by the European Union
- background information on NATO-EU relations is described in a Discussion Paper published by the Centre for Economics and Foreign Policy Studies (January 2010) as well as the report NATO and the European Union (updated 29 January 2008), prepared by the Congressional Research Service.