This LibGuide is intended to provide a few starting points to assist you with your research on issues related to NATO's New Strategic Concept.
As Jonas Daniliauskas (Lithuanian Atlantic Association) reminded during last Baltic Defence College Workshop on the New NATO Strategic Concept, 18 February 2010:
"The global security environment constantly develops and changes. NATO must adapt to the changing international environment. It has done it successfully over the decades. It has done it by expanding its agenda, by changing policies, by enlarging, by adopting new Strategic Concepts. Adoption of each new Strategic Concepts by NATO was preceded by some major change in global or European politics:
• 1949 - first SC: just after creation of NATO
• 1957 – second SC: after Germany entered NATO
• 1968 – third SC: after France withdrew from military structures of NATO
• 1991 – fourth SC: after Cold War ended
• 1999 – fifth SC: after first round of enlargement to CEEC and on the occasion of 50th anniversary of NATO
• 2010 – sixth SC will respond both to changed security environment over more than a decade and to its own enlargement since 1999"
Good places to start your research include :
- NATO's New Strategic Concept website where you'll find the official text of the NATO's New Strategic Concept
- The NATO News page posted on 19 November 2010 during the Lisbon Summit
- the NATO's Topic pages on Strategic Concept and Comprehensive Political Guidance
- The NATO Review's videos "How does NATO need to change (Parts 1 and 2)?": Ivo Daalder, US Ambassador to NATO , Admiral James G. Stavridis, Supreme Allied Commander, Europe and Madeleine K. Albright, Chair, NATO Strategic Concept Expert Group
- The New Strategic Concept, missile defence and reform on NATO ministerials agenda where NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen presented the agenda of the Foreign and Defence Ministers’ informal meetings in Brussels on 14 October, 2010
- "NATO's New Strategic Concept: A Parliamentary View": Jan Petersen's contribution to the Strategic Concept - NATO Review 2009, Edition 2 (Jan Petersen is Former Foreign Minister of Norway and Special Rapporteur for the NATO Parliamentary Assembly’s)
- A bibliography on the NATO New Strategic Concept - elaborated by the NATO Librarians and closed by 16 Dec 2010 - which reflects the discussion before adoption of the concept. With the possibility to also have access to the documents.